Sunday, September 28, 2008

Two new countries visited recently

Yes, I know, August was a quiet month on this blog, and work has taken its toll, but here I go...


Although they are not officially recognized as 'countries' - and I definitely want to remain politically correct - the Geocaching.com website lists Hong Kong and Taiwan as two geocaching 'countries'. I was on a business trip to both countries recently and I was amazed by both.

First, I was in Hong Kong when typhoon Nuri hit the island, and it was a direct hit. I was impressed by the way everybody reacts in a quiet and orderly fashion. Although three people died (they went swimming when the eye of the typhoon was over the area - how silly can you be ? ) there was not a lot of material damage, and the next morning I went geocaching along the harbourfront because my flight was delayed. The airport had been closed and the chaos at Chek Lap Kok (the unpronounceable name of the airport) was understandable

And then, Taiwan was a real pleasant surprise. People are genuinely friendly, even with their less-than-adequate understanding of English, the food is absolutely exquisite, the landscape is mountainous, a bit like a tropical Switzerland, and Taipei has a very striking resemblance with Japan, with little alleys and narrow streets where you can find restaurants with heavenly food. I am told that the Japanese stayed for a long time in Taiwan, and it still shows.

Of course, the most impressive landmark is the Taipei 101 tower, with its elegant shape and incredible design tha can withstand the strongest winds and earthquakes.

Geocaching in Taiwan was a bit of a challenge because street names are not necessarily translated or indicated, so the GPS was really helpful, and I had the great pleasure of finding a cache while twenty elderly ladies were doing their morning Tai Chi exercises a few meters away. I have to go back to Taiwan, and its gentle and very Asian atmosphere.

Watch this space - you will know when I am there again. Here is a picture of the skyline of Taipei at night

1 comment:

Tink said...

Could you possibly tell me how you got Taiwan maps for your GPS? I'm planning a trip out there this summer and am looking for Taiwan maps for my Garmin and am having a really hard time with it. =( Any help would be great!